Re: Radon and Lung Cancer: What the studies really say.

Howard,

Any valid theory should be able to explain all data, unless there were

serious mistakes made in collecting the data. Even then, we should be able

to put an upper limit to the effect of the mistakes and our theory should

match the data to within that error.

The point is that the case control studies and the ecological studies use a

different x-axis. One is personal radon exposure, the other is average

county radon level. Because most people do not grasp the significance of

this difference, we have statements from learned people and prestigious

organizations saying that the result of the ecological data is not

compatible with the result of the case control studies. This is, of course,

complete and utter nonsense. Cohen's results do NOT imply a negative slope

between personal radon exposure and lung cancer.

If you want to check the validity of Cohen's results with a case control

study, you have to use the same metric (AKA yardstick). You have to plot

your cases and controls against the average radon level in the county of

residence, not against their personal exposure. This could easily be done

retrospectively for the existing case control studies and it would not cost

a whole bunch of extra money. It would probably be most informative if it

was done for a state where lung cancer incidence is high and there is a

large variation in radon levels among counties. Iowa would probably not be

the best candidate, but I'd still like to see the results.

Kai