Re: LNT and resources [Was: Scientific responsibility]

I can give an example of the difference LNT is making for shielding

PET imaging centers.  Consider an uptake room with office space on

the floor above at a distance of 12'.  Shielding in the ceiling for this

area for various dose limits gives you the following lead thicknesses:

500 mrem/yr	8 lbs/sf

100 mrem/yr	40 lbs/sf

25 mrem/yr	60 lbs/sf

These numbers ignore shielding required for the dose due to the

adjacent uptake room and the scanner itself, so this is an

underestimate.  For most buildings the typical structure of the ceiling

does not do much to reduce the dose from PET sources.  NCRP says

we OUGHT to be using 25 mrem/year, and that is the logical result of

assuming LNT and ALARA.

So, what is the cost?  If we follow the NCRP recommendations, then

this valuable imaging modality is going to be both hard to get and

extremely expensive, because you can't put that much lead in the the

ceiling and/or walls and/or floor of a typical building.  LNT will certainly

reduce the number of sites offering PET imaging and drive the cost up

where it is available.

-Gary Isenhower

Date sent:      	Fri, 20 Jun 2003 05:16:48 -0700 (PDT)

From:           	John Jacobus <crispy_bird@YAHOO.COM>