Re: Internat transport regs- WHAT's low toxicity

Hi,
We ship natural Uranium on a daily basis through US mail, UPS and FedEx. It has taken a long time to finally understand the rules and now they are changing. Thought I'd ask directly about the shipping of natural Uranium, both domestically and internationally and how these new rules will effect us.

It is my understanding that material must be above 70Bq/g to be classed as radioactive. Anything below does not need labeling or special packaging and is not classed as radioactive. Correct?

1. How will the new regulations effect the domestic shipment of natural Uranium. I have heard that the 70Bq/g  limit will be lowered to 10Bq/g (which would require almost anything we ship to be labeled) and I have also heard that Uranium will be exempt from the regulations.

2. Is there, or will there be, a total activity limit for a package containing natural Uranium?

3.When a substance is below the 70Bq/g limit (not classed as radioactive) can it be shipped to countries which prohibit importing of radioactive material?

I'm sure there will be many more questions and I thank you in advance for your assistance.
                       Thanks,
                                 Ron Dicus
                        www.GotHotRocks.com