Environmental Radioactivity and Low-background Radioactivity Monitoring

I thought this may be of interest.

Environmental Radioactivity and Low-background Radioactivity Monitoring in

Service to the Society

The preliminary program for the Symposium on Environmental Radioactivity, 226th

ACS National Meeting, New York City,Sept. 7-9, 2003. ( www.chemistry.org, click

on ACS National Meetings,etc.)has been released.

NUCL

DIVISION OF NUCLEAR CHEMISTRY & TECHNOLOGY

Preliminary Program, 226th ACS National Meeting, New York, NY, September 7-

11, 2003

S. C. Srivastava, Program Chair

 Section A

Javits Convention Center

September 7-9, 2003

S. C. Scarpitta, T. M. Semkow, K. W. Thomas, and G. J. Wozniak, Organizers

SUNDAY MORNING

Homeland Security/Safeguards

K. W. Thomas, Presiding

8:30 — Introductory Remarks. S.C. Scarpitta

8:40 — Countering nuclear and radiological threats: Science and technology

initiatives for consequence management and mitigation. S. C. Scott, T.

Taylor, J. Canepa, N. Becker, B. Rees

9:10 — The role of science & technology in homeland security. M. D.

Erickson, A. Berne, A. R. Hutter, R. J. Larsen, H. N. Lee

9:35 — Advanced detectors for interdiction of nuclear materials. R. B.

James

10:00 —21. A radiological monitoring network for homeland security. C. G.

Sanderson, N. Latner, N. C. Chiu, B. J. Albert

10:25 — Intermission.

10:35 — Department of Homeland Security, Standards Program: Radiation

measurements. R. J. Bath, H. A. Dockery, P. D. Greenlaw

11:00 — Environmental sampling for safeguards: Verifying the absence of

evidence. S. Vogt, D. Donohue, Y. Kuno

11:20 — Multi-agency radiation survey and site investigation manual

(MARSSIM) supplements: Overview/development update. C. Gogolak, C.

Petullo, K. Klawiter, V. Lloyd, R. Meck, H. Peterson, S. Doremus, D.

Caputo, D. Alberth, G. Powers, A. Huffert, L. Fragoso, R. Bhat

11:40 — Monitoring for airborne radioactivity using automotive air filters

as collectors. R. J. McDonald, A. R. Smith, D. L. Hurley, E. B. Norman

SUNDAY AFTERNOON

Regulatory/Gamma Spec

T. M. Semkow, Presiding

1:30 — Overview of results from NPL’s environmental radioactivity

comparison exercises. S. M. Jerome

1:55 — Naturally Occurring Radioactive Material (NORM) in Europe - an

overview. F. Schφnhofer

2:15 — An overview of the multi-agency radiological laboratory analytical

protocols (MARLAP) manual. C. Gogolak, J. Griggs

2:35 — Traceability, equivalence and ISO 17025:1999. S. M. Jerome

2:55 — Development of a mechnically-cooled high-purity germanium detection

system for Homeland Security applications. M. K. Schultz

3:20 — Intermission.

3:30 — Ultra low background techniques applied on a grand scale. H. S.

Miley

3:55 — Low-background gamma spectroscopy of natural decay chain activity

at the microBq/kg level. G. Heusser

4:20 — Theoretical studies of background induction in HPGe gamma

spectrometers. P. Vojtyla

4:45 — Activity calculations in gamma-ray spectrometry. M. A. Korun

MONDAY MORNING

Water/Monitoring

M. K. Schultz, Presiding

9:00 — Gamma spectrometry of environmental radioactivity with special

emphasis to drinking water. P. Parekh, D. Haines, A. Bari, M. Torres, T.

M. Semkow

9:25 — Simultaneous determination of gross alpha, Ra-224, Ra-226, and Ra-

228 activities in water using a single sample preparation procedure. B.

Parsa, R. N. Obed, W. K. Nemeth, G. Suozzo

9:45 — Drinking water analysis for radioactive substances - an LSC

approch. F. Schφnhofer

10:05 — Characterization of radioactive particles from different nuclear

sources. B. Salbu, O. C. Lind, K. Janssens

10:30 — Intermission.

10:40 — Where is the 'missing' plutonium: Intertidal radionuclide

inventories, NE Irish Sea, UK. D. G. Jones, M. H. Strutt

11:00 — Monitoring of airborne H-3, Be-7, I-131, and gross beta levels in

New York. M. E. Kitto, E. M. Fielman, G. M. Hartt, E. A. Gillen, S. E.

Fielman

11:20 — Changes in environmental radioactivity due to TENORM in Romania.

E. G. Botezatu

11:40 — Multiple sorption sites for Cs-137 in SRS soils with hydroxy-

interlayered vermiculite. B. Kahn, M. Goto, R. L. Rosson, J. M. Wampler,

S. Serkiz

MONDAY AFTERNOON

Monitoring/Mass Spec/Methods

M. E. Kitto, Presiding

1:30 — Plutonium reduction on synthetic magnetite (Fe3O4) and hematite

(-

Fe2O3). B. A. Powell, R. A. Fjeld, D. I. Kaplan, J. T. Coates

1:50 — Behavior of Sr-90 in a seasonally-anoxic lake at the Savannah River

Nuclear Site. M. K. Schultz, B. Burnett, T. G. Hinton, J. J. Alberts, N.

Bores, M. Takacs, G. Kim

2:10 — Mobility and containment of Thorium-232 in soil at a military

training site. A. J. Bednar, S. L. Larson, D. Gent, J. Gilmore, P. Malone,

C. Weiss, C. Christodoulatos, R. Manis, D. Dermatas

2:30 — Determination of low-level radionuclides in environmental samples

by mass spectrometry at the Savannah River Technology Center. D. M. Beals

2:55 — Advances in low level actinide measurements by ion chromatography

inductively coupled plasma mass spectrometry (IC-ICPMS). W. Hang, L. W.

Zhu, C. Mahan

3:15 — Intermission.

3:25 — Improvements for environmental and forensics measurements using

multiple ion counters in isotope ratio mass spectrometry. S. Richter, P.

V. Croatto, P. Mason, S. A. Goldberg, R. Essex, R. Thomas, H. Schwieters,

T. Luetzeler

3:45 — Low-level liquid scintillation spectrometry in environmental

monitoring. F. Schφnhofer

4:10 — Rapid analytical technique to identify alpha emitting isotopes in

water, air-filters, urine and solid matrices using a Frisch grid detector.

S. C. Scarpitta, R. P. Miltenberger, N. Carte

4:30 — Understanding the gross alpha calibration curve. H. W. Jeter

4:50 — Gross alpha and beta radioactivity detection in water for emergency

response. T. M. Semkow, P. P. Parekh, A. Bari, D. K. Haines, H. Gao, A. N.

Bolden

TUESDAY MORNING

Environmental Radioactivity

S. C. Scarpitta, Presiding

8:30 — Radioactivity as tracer of environmental processes. C. Papastefanou

8:55 — Climatic and geologic controls on the distribution and variability

of radionuclides in rocks, soil, water, and air. L. C. S. Gundersen

9:20 — Natural radionuclides in surface soils in Ra-rich areas, NE

Estonia. E. Realo, K. Realo

9:40 — Radon and radium isotopes as tracers in the coastal ocean. W. C.

Burnett

10:05 — Intermission.

10:15 — Natural radioactivity for parts of the United States and Canada.

J. S. Duval, J. M. Carson, P. B. Holman, A. G. Darnly

10:35 — Primordial radionuclides in the environs of Simpsonville/Fountain

Inn, South Carolina. A. M. Soreefan, B. A. Powell, L. D. Hughes, M. Wall,

T. A. DeVol

10:55 — Supported and unsupported 210-Pb fractions in U/Ra-rich soils of

NE Estonia. K. Realo, E. Realo

11:15 — Anomalously high levels of uranium and other naturally occurring

radionuclides in private wells supplies near Simpsonville, South Carolina.

L. D. Hughes, T. A. DeVol, B. A. Powell, A. M. Soreefan, D. A. Falta

11:35 — Characterization of Deinococcus radiodurans for actinide

precipitation. C. S. Gong, K. Bjornstad, E. Blakely, J. D. Keasling, H.

Nitsche

TUESDAY AFTERNOON

Radon/Models

W. C. Burnett, Presiding

1:30 — Progress in mapping radon flux and its variation over the Earth's

surface. S. D. Schery

1:55 — Iowa radon lung cancer study: Exposure assessment. R. W. Field, C.

F. Lynch, D. J. Steck, B. J. Smith, C. P. Brus, J. S. Neuberger, R. F.

Woolson, E. F. Fisher, C. E. Platz, R. A. Robinson

2:20 — Passive integrating monitor for measuring radon and thoron fluxes

from soils. W. Zhuo, T. Iida, M. Furukawa, S. Tokonami, Y. Yamada

2:40 — Radon occurrence in New York State. M. E. Kitto, J. G. Green

3:00 — The contribution of complex nuclei to the effective dose of air

crew at flight levels greater than 40,000 feet. E. Felsberger, K. O'Brien

3:20 — Intermission.

3:30 — 'Geoaerosols' - a macroscopic quantum effect? R. F. Holub, P. K.

Smrz, B. D. Honeyman, P. Hopke, J. Hovorka, M. G. Reimer

3:55 — Limits of detection in the third millennium. S. M. Jerome

4:15 — Bounds for confidence intervals for paired counting when there is

uncertainty about the expected blank count. W. E. Potter

4:35 — Relationship between the radioactive decay law and nuclear

statistics. T. M. Semkow