Re: Radon, Smoking,& LNT

On Tue, 24 Jun 2003, Jerry Cohen wrote:

>     I would certainly agree with Puskin, Lubin & Fields that a negative

> correlation between smoking and radon levels would account for Bernie

> Cohen's observed negative relationship between radon levels and lung cancer.

	--I have shown (item #15 on my web site) that, with the Puskin

type analysis, there is no set of smoking prevalences in counties that

will explain the Puskin observation.

	Using the BEIR-IV type analysis my papers (item #1 as well as item

#7 on my web site) show that even a perfect negative correlation between

radon and smoking does not resolve the discrepancy between LNT and my

data, if best estimates of the width of the distribution of smoking

prevalence are used. Increasing the width of this distribution can resolve

the discrepancy only with very highly implausible assumptions.

	By "perfect" I mean infinitely strong.