Re: Radon, Smoking,& LNT

----- Original Message -----

From: <epirad@mchsi.com>

To: BERNARD L COHEN <blc+@PITT.EDU>

Cc: <radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu>

Sent: Tuesday, June 24, 2003 2:58 PM

Subject: Radon - county linear model and LNT

                            -SNIP-

> I am pointing out a response by Lubin that I am in agreement with.

> Puskin concludes that the negative trend reported by Cohen for lung

> cancer is very likely explained by a negative correlation between

> smoking and radon levels across counties.

> Yours faithfully,            J H Lubin

    I would certainly agree with Puskin, Lubin & Fields that a negative

correlation between smoking and radon levels would account for Bernie

Cohen's observed negative relationship between radon levels and lung cancer.

Now, if we can just think of some plausible explanation of why such a

negative correlation would exist, the problem is solved.

Some possible explanations  are:

1.-  Cigarette smoke prevents radon emission into the environment.

2.-  Presence of radon in the environment discourages people from smoking.

3.- In many areas, some unknown phenomenon is occurring that simultaneously

     causes people to smoke and depresses environmental radon levels.

4.- Smokers preferentially seek out and reside in low radon areas.

    Nah! I can't buy any of the above. Maybe someone else can help.