Re: Article: Erin Brockovich takes on radiation

In a message dated 7/3/2003 9:52:35 AM Pacific Standard Time,

lashleyt@DTEENERGY.COM writes:

>  "Iodine 131, for  example, is regularly injected into oil wells."    Is

> Alex Baldwin part of this junk science project?

Actually, I-131 is used in this industry, and injected into wells.  See,

e.g.:

<A HREF="http://www.rrc.state.tx.us/divisions/og/uic/manual/HTML/h5-outl.htm";>http://www.rrc.state.tx.us/divisions/og/uic/manual/HTML/h5-outl.htm</A>

or

<A HREF="http://www.kdhe.state.ks.us/radiation/forms/Well_Log_Tracer_Study_Guide.pdf";>http://www.kdhe.state.ks.us/radiation/forms/Well_Log_Tracer_Study_Guide.pdf</A>

The question is, would it pose any residual hazard to members of the public

using the site years later, and, I think the answer is "no."  Even if a Ci of

I-131 were used in  a tracer study, ignoring the fact that it is injected down

a deep well, it would only be about a millicurie within 90 days, a microcurie

within 180 days, a nanocurie within 270 days, and a picocurie before the year

was out.

Barbara

Barbara