Re: Article: Erin Brockovich takes on radiation

Not even close to a Curie of I-131 is ever used.  A typical well tracer job might involve 10 millicuries.  Further, these activities might be undertaken once a year or even much less frequently.

  ----- Original Message -----

  From: BLHamrick@AOL.COM

  To: lashleyt@DTEENERGY.COM ; Jim_Hardeman@dnr.state.ga.us

  Cc: radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu

  Sent: Thursday, July 03, 2003 10:17 PM

  Subject: Re: Article: Erin Brockovich takes on radiation

  In a message dated 7/3/2003 9:52:35 AM Pacific Standard Time, lashleyt@DTEENERGY.COM writes:

    "Iodine 131, for  example, is regularly injected into oil wells."    Is Alex Baldwin part of this junk science project?

  Actually, I-131 is used in this industry, and injected into wells.  See, e.g.:

  http://www.rrc.state.tx.us/divisions/og/uic/manual/HTML/h5-outl.htm

  or

  http://www.kdhe.state.ks.us/radiation/forms/Well_Log_Tracer_Study_Guide.pdf

  The question is, would it pose any residual hazard to members of the public using the site years later, and, I think the answer is "no."  Even if a Ci of I-131 were used in  a tracer study, ignoring the fact that it is injected down a deep well, it would only be about a millicurie within 90 days, a microcurie within 180 days, a nanocurie within 270 days, and a picocurie before the year was out.

  Barbara

  Barbara