Re: Personnel Monitoring When Damp/Sweaty

Randy, without knowning the radionuclides of interst, showering and drying

before monitoring is a method that has been used in the uranium processing

industry for a while.  The alpha and beta emitters would only be an internal

hazard in most situations, unless it is a fuel fragment.  Most significant

energy beta emitters are detectable through clothing so sweat should not be

a problem.   Also, more than likely there is a gamma component with the

radionuclides of interest  that can be used as a surrogate for estimating

the alpha and beta emitters.  In certain conditions low energy beta emitters

of interest can be masked by natural radon 222 progeny (Po 218/Pb 214 and

Bi-214/Po 214) that tend to attach to clothing and skin.

Dean Chaney, CHP