Re: person-to-person dose

In a message dated 7/9/2003 3:14:24 PM Central Daylight Time,

Kjell.Johansen@nmcco.com writes:

> I am trying to find the annual dose a person receives being about 1 foot

> away from another person based on  the standard adult's K-40 content.  I

> remember reading it somewhere but do not find it in either Kathren's or Eisenbud's

> books.  A rough calculation gives a dose on the order of 0.5 mrem which is in

> the ballpark of what I remember.  A more concise value and a reference would

> be appreciated.

I have used 3 mrem/y as the dose equivalent one receives from his or her

spouse in my talks over the years. I can't provide the reference at the moment,

but I suspect that it is the NCRP report on radiation exposure of the US

population.

Bob C