From: Peter L. Tarver [mailto:peter.tarver@sanmina-sci.com]

Sent: Wednesday, July 09, 2003 6:07 PM

To: radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu

Subject: ozone creation

Please pardon a question from among the unwashed (my

previous experience is with nonionizing radiation).  The

traffic I've seen on this list is primarily related to

radionuclides, but my question is not.

I am in the process of evaluating a product for use in the

electronics industry that employs a "soft" x-radiation

source as a photoionizer to mitigate an electrostatic charge

accumulation problem that reduces product yield.  My

customer has asked me whether or not use of the photoionizer

will create ozone in their equipment.

My previous understanding and what I have been able to find

using internet search engines points uv radiation creating

ozone and no indications that x-radiation does (though I

don't see why it might not be capable, since the incident

energy is greater than uv).

If anyone can either point me to a resource or even give

direct advice, I'd appreciate it.

Regards,

Peter L. Tarver, PE

Product Safety Manager