Re: Response beyond the reality?

In a message dated 7/11/2003 8:07:22 AM Pacific Standard Time,

Clayton.Bradt@LABOR.STATE.NY.US writes:

> I haven't heard anything from the NC radiation control program on this

> incident, so I speak purely from conjecture, but it sounds as though the

> State radiation control people were out of the loop on this one.  The

> ridiculous over-reaction is typical of what one expects from first

> responders, who have only minimal training in radiological incident

> response, jumping in with both feet without asking for advice.

I'd like to add that with respect to the event I related, the decision to

evacuate was not based on the decision of any professional radiation control

program health physicists in California.

And, as Clayton points out, expect to see a lot more of this.  Putting

radiation monitoring devices in the hands of all our first responders nationwide,

most of whom will never come across a licensable source of radiation in their

entire careers is a recipe for lots of false alarms, freeway closures and

unnecessary evacuations.

Barbara

Barbara