RESPONSE BEYOND REALITY

Just a short note concerning the incident in Mint Hill, NC and the over

response.  Our agency (State Radiation Program) was not informed about

the event.  I found out about it via a friend who sent the post to me

from radsafe before I had a chance to review my e-mail.  The county EM

and state EM was not informed either.  Only the local police department

and the Charlotte Fire Department were involved.  The container was a

nuclear medicine dose container with some type of containers (do not

have all the information yet) in the box (may have been unit dose

shields).  The name of the nuclear pharmacy was found and they were

called to check the box.  Isotope was Tc-99 dated 1998.  The pharmacy

picked up the devices.  We do not know what was meant by the report of

the container being destroyed.  I am still trying to get more

information on what really happened.  One call to our agency would have

prevented the hazmat response and the bomb squad involvement.  A

breakdown of the notification system.  We will be having a discussion

with the nuclear pharmacy for various issues.

Anyone wanting more detailed information please contact me via e-mail or

phone:

	mailto:Johnny.James@ncmail.net

		phone: 919-571-414

Johnny James