Re: A Reporter Questions Rokke

Bob,

Are various govt. agencies, e.g., VA, USA, DOE, NRC, subject to the same

legal restraints -- or at least a prevailing fear of lawsuits? Someone

on Radsafe recently said something to the effect that none of the

regulatory agencies seem able to change public fearful perceptions of

things nuclear. I have seen no serious attempts in recent years by govt.

agencies or by industry to change these public perceptions. It seems to

me that the govt. agencies Rokke refers to could at least refute

publicly his false assertions if they cared to do so. I have the

impression that they prefer to let the little dogs keep on yapping.

The Rokke's will thrive until there is some institutional attempt to

counter the false information. I believe all personal efforts (such as

yours) with the media and with congressmen do help change some minds,

but the larger institutionalized effort could finally turn this

foolishness around -- but I see nothing yet about to happen along these

lines.

Along with others, my sincere thank you for your efforts and I hope you

will continue to the extent you can.

Sincerely,

Maury Siskel     maury@webtexas.com

> ============================

> William:

> I hope you noticed that I skirted Mr. Stanford's suggestions. Mr.

> Stanford is not a government employee and may not realize, as you and

> I do, that what he proposed was illegal.

> When I was Army Radiation Safety Officer, I never had access to Dr.

> Rokke's military personnel or medical records and never wanted to.

> In my official capacity, I did see both the initial and corrected

> versions of his bioassay results that DOE generated following an NTS

> DU exercise, but I have never discussed those results outside official

> channels. I have stated that Rokke has misrepresented both those

> results and his participation in the exercise (he was an uninvited

> observer with no official standing) and challenged him to prove

> otherwise. I cannot and will not do more than that.

   Bob