Sunshine-"lower UV has higher risk of melanoma" LLNL

John J, Bill F and Radsafers,

I support my assertion that 10x present sunshine (and ionizung

radiation) would benefit most Americans (although > 100 x would harm),

by the following:

Workplace investigation of Increased Diagnosis of Malignant Melanoma

Among Employees of Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory - Moore DH,

Patterson W, HatchF, Discher D, Schneider JS, Bennett D Aug 1994

UCRL-LR-106723

LLNL contradicts 1984 conclusions in a case-control study of Austin and

Reynolds:

that "- 'causal associations' of the 3x melanoma rate were:

1, exposure to radioactive materials,

2, work at site 300 [test area on sunny hill]

3, exposure to volatile photographic chemicals,

4, presence at Pacific test site, and

5, chemist duties."

LLNL study, "Results -Controls [69] had greater exposure than cases [69]

to [1, 3, 4, 5 above, not site 300]."  "Our matching, not A-R-s,

included years of education and start date of employment."

LLNL study, "A simple model that used the ability of the skin to tan

after repeated exposure to sunlight and the number of moles larger than

2mm in diameter to classify subjects, resulted in 71% correct

classifications."

LLNL "Multifactor Results - The scoring reflected the fact that cases

tended to have LOWER [italics originally] exposures to UV during ages

20-24 than controls;

thus , low UV exposure leads to high risk of melanoma." [p36]

I believe the "cost of melanoma from UV through the ozone hole "from

Freon""

 is another bureaucracy employment promotion, like unreasonable ALARA.

Shame on those who would deprive the public of 10 x the sunlight - or

10x the shorter wavelength, ionizing radiation! Take the initiative,

HPs! You are needed to assure optimal doses of this "essential trace

energy" (jcCameron@facstaff.wisc.edu)

It may equal about 3 CT scans/year or 0.3 mrem/hr or 4 pCi/l radon.

Numerous references are at jMuckerheide@cnts.wpi.edu

BTW, Bernie Cohen's "Risks in Perspective" from the DDP meeting is at J

American Physicians and Surgeons V8#2 summer 2003 or blc@pitt.edu.

Howard Long