RE: The Ultimate Hormesis Paper

Philippe,

For those of us not familiar with the obstacles to obtaining the required

information for this study, could you provide more details?

A methods paper could be developed that describes the study population to the

extent possible, dosimetry, and proposed optimal methods for study of the

population without progressing to the step of risk analyses with existing data

and poor epidemiologic methods.  I don't see how performing risk analyses with

poor data and designs furthers our understanding of the risk posed by low

level radiation exposure irregardless of whether the results suggest increased

risk or hormesis.  Publishing studies with poor methodologies may either be

heuristic or result in outside investigators or funding agencies not wishing

to get involved with the project because of existing controversy.

It may be that the study population provides a rare opportunity to study the

effects of rather constant exposures of specific energies, but in my opinion

the way to proceed is to work on a descriptive paper describing the population

and scope of radiation exposure information to the fullest extent possible

along with the existing limitations and obstacles to performing a rigorous

study.  The addition of proposed methods of study design (if the data were to

be made avaialble) within the paper would add to its appeal for publication.

A good place to submit such a paper would be Journal of Exposure Analysis and

Environmental Epidemiology.  http://www.nature.com/jea/

Rather then the existing title (because we really do not know given the

current methodology if there are beneficial effects), "The Beneficial Health

Effects of Chronic Radiation Experienced in the Incident of Co-60 Contaminated

Apartments in Taiwan." , a more approrpriate title may be-

Chronic exposure to Co-60, A Case Study in Taiwan:  An Opportunity to Study

the Health Effects of Low level Radiation or an Opportunity Missed?

I do agree that this apparently unique population should be studied.  The

infamous shipyard study that John Cameron often laments about had a similar

chronic exposure, but from what I can tell the exposures were much lower then

in the apartments?  Also, in the the naval shipyard workers study, the

reserachers had to contend with other occupational exposures such as

asbestos.

Regards, Bill Field