RE: radiographer "overexposure"

Does anyone recall the 513 REM extremity dose incident at San Onofre in the

late 1980s?

(Anyone at SONGS please correct me - going on recollection rather than

review)

To refresh everyone's  memory, the processor sent an email report to SONGS

that said the dose was something like 13.333 REM.  The REM column had only

two places.  The "flag" portion of the reporting program took its' input

from the inserted (hundreds column truncated) entry, rather than from the

absolute value that was the input to that entry, so the reported value

didn't calculate out to over 75% of the extremity dose, and the report

didn't highlight it as intended.  SONGS, not being aware of the program

fault, didn't even ask for a reevaluation until later.

The later, written report had the third digit, showing 513.333 (or whatever

the mrem remainder was).  Eventually, the investigation cast doubt on

whether the 513 was a good figure, but that's beside the point of whether

the information was relayed in a manner that correctly alerted the user.

Supposition:

If the 1,423,000 mrem reported may be the result of a simple reporting

problem, rather than a processing problem, the QA program for the dose could

be just fine.  Perhaps the film badge was read as 1423 mrem, but the

printout shows a multiplier, or the program for some reason screwed up place

value.

I have no personal knowledge of this incident, but I do have quite a bit of

experience in how computers can make our lives and careers incredibly

easier, until we let the computer do our thinking.

I would also caution, from personal painful experience, against assuming we

actually know enough about this to speak intelligently, or to criticize the

regulators, who may have looked at the incident and may contemplate

enforcement action or other followup, but with the processor rather than the

licensee, who is allowed to rely on the processor in most instances

(assuming they're NVLAP).

Respectfully,

George R. Cicotte

DISCLAIMER:  I haven't asked my employer what he thinks about this, and it

is, after all, opinion rather than learned study.