Re: radiographer "overexposure"

Let me speculate here. NVLAP only tests a processor, if they elect to test in the

Accident (High Dose) Category, up to 5 Gy (500 rads). Therefore, is it reasonable for

a film processor to go outside of NVLAP, and test a film dosimeter up to levels

>1500 rads (one would have to do this in order to report a dose < the dose they

reported. Another question, raised earlier, is whether the report stated film when if

fact it was TLD or OSL. That remains a possibility, since many don't have a clue as

to what they are wearing, and simply think it is a film badge. Another issue I have is

whether a radiographer would actually wear a film dosimeter, based on

environmental factors, such as outdoor exposure, if there is high temperature and

humidity, not very good for film dosimeters.

As a NVLAP assessor, it is my duty when I assess a facility, to evaluate their overall

QA program, that validates that the doses they state they are capable of being able

to report, can be met, accurately and precisely. There is a requirement for a NVLAP

accredited facility to document their upper and lower range of reported dose, and,

their valid energy spectra for each type of radiation they are reporting to their clients

(both in-house or external). They are also required to document the overall estimate

of uncertainty, per the new ISO 17025 requirements,

Lots of questions .. not many answers.

Sandy Perle

Director, Technical

ICN Worldwide Dosimetry Service

ICN Plaza, 3300 Hyland Avenue

Costa Mesa, CA 92626

Tel: (714) 545-0100 / (800) 548-5100  Extension 2306

Fax: (714) 668-3149

E-Mail: sperle@icnpharm.com

E-Mail: sandyfl@earthlink.net

Personal Website: http://sandy-travels.com/