Re: Ulterior motives

Jerry,

I know what you mean, and certainly agree about the

problem of political pandering.  I remember a time

when the AEC used to promote nuclear power and the

uses of radiation by publishing little booklets about

seed irradiation, RTG's, etc.

Then it became a "crime" for government to promote

nuclear power.  Then came the idea that government

should be run like a business, and each agency would

pay for its own operations.  And congress found that

they could "help" their districts by funding pet

projects.  I have never been convinced that the

politician cares for the results as long as they get a

name on a building.

I have always viewed science (maybe foolishly) as a

chance to explore.  Decisions on direction should be

left to those who know the subject, not to those with

political pull.

--- Jerry Cohen <jjcohen@PRODIGY.NET> wrote:

>  John,

>    It is easy to attribute ulterior motives to

> anyone who promotes an agenda

> that we might disagree with. For example, how about

> those politicians who

> pander to public fears of  possible "global warming"

> in order to promote

> their anti-industry, anti-development, anti free

> enterprise, Luddite type

> views. Aren't they pretty much the same ones who

> flaunt the nuclear power

> bogey man by warning of certain doom should a

> nuclear waste shipment pass

> near our neighborhood, and who caused thousands of

> unnecessary abortions to

> occur during the post-Chernobyl hysteria. I guess

> that to those involved in

> government sponsored  research on cimatology or

> waste management , such

> politicians would be considered heroes.

> It will probably never happen, but wouldn't it be

> nice if these issues could

> be judged purely on their scientific merits.

>             Jerry

. . .

=====

-- John