Re: New arrived article related to . . . Detailed evidence failsto support man-made climate change

John Jacobus wrote:

> "The Discovery of Rapid Climate Change:"  Only within

> the past decade have researchers warmed to the

> possibility of abrupt shifts in Earth's climate.

> Sometimes, it takes a while to see what one is not

> prepared to look for.

Actually, geologists have acknowledged this possibility for a long time.

  Certain catastrophic events can cause immediate, though usually

temporary, climatic changes.  These events include glacial-outburst

floods, volcanic eruptions, meteor impacts, ice-shelf breakups, and

submarine landslides.   The climate is fairly delicately balanced

between the atmospheric and oceanic circulation systems, and if you

affect one of these, a disturbance develops that can drive a region

warmer, cooler, wetter or drier.  This can happen at a variety of

scales, all the way up to global, and the feedback mechanisms can

restabilize it either back to the same as before or to a different

climatic regime.

In today's world, we have to assume that any climate change is bad.

Crops are planned based on water availability and growing season length.

  A repeat of the Little Ice Age would have a huge economic impact in

the northern latitudes (imagine even two consecutive years of regional

crop failures), while significant sea level rise (several inches) due to

global warming would cause untoward harm to coastal communities and

countries such as Holland.  Many parts of the world have large

populations that are already overstressing limited agricultural and

ecological resources.

I think we politicize climate studies at our peril.  This is one area

where the knowledge and predictive ability can help us mitigate

disaster, no matter if the cause of climate change is natural or man-made.

My own opinion,

Susan Gawarecki