From: NIXON, Grant (Kanata) [mailto:GNIXON@MDS.Nordion.com]

Sent: Tuesday, August 05, 2003 1:36 PM

To: 'Bruce Bugg'; RADSAFE (E-mail)

Subject: RE: Techie Question (old style)

The most important factor is cross-sectional area, not gauge.

10 AWG dia = 2.989 mm

5 AWG dia =5.338 mm

For stranded wire, we have:

10 AWG: resistance is about 0.00334 Ohm/m [area ~5.261 mm^2].

5 AWG: resistance is about 0.00105 Ohm/m [area ~16.773 mm^2].

We see that the 5 AWG wire has more than 3 times the carrying capacity of 10

AWG wire.

If we calculate resistance in parallel for 2 of the 10 AWG wires:

L/R=1/0.00334+1/0.00334 -> R/L=0.00167 Ohm/m, which is the same as 7 AWG

wire.

See, e.g., http://www.mogami.com/e/cad/wire-gauge.html

Best regards,

Grant