Interventional Radiologists Hand Exposure

Hospital RSOs,

I have noticed that the interventional radiologists at my hospital have not

been wearing their ring dosimeters. When I asked them about this, the

response I got was that they cannot wear their badge because they are not

allowed to wear rings (even wedding rings) when scrubbing for surgery. This

is policy. They also stated that it interferes with manual dexterity.

Here are my personal thoughts - first, why can't the ring badges be scrubbed

seperately with the hands (not on the hands) before surgery? Second, manual

dexterity? Are you kidding me? Third, it always amazes me how unconcerned

these guys are about their exposure.

Anyway, before I take it up with the Infection Control Dept. I wanted to

hear how it is handled at other hospitals.

Your input is appreciated.

Steve Grimm