Re: Interventional Radiologists Hand Exposure

Steve,

One possibility is to issue wrist dosimeters.  You

should also consider what the exposures are.  If thye

do not exceed 10% of the annual limit, do you need to

issue them dosimeters at all?

Your third comment goes without saying.

--- Steve Grimm <SGrimm@EHSO.EMORY.EDU> wrote:

> Hospital RSOs,

> I have noticed that the interventional radiologists

> at my hospital have not

> been wearing their ring dosimeters. When I asked

> them about this, the

> response I got was that they cannot wear their badge

> because they are not

> allowed to wear rings (even wedding rings) when

> scrubbing for surgery. This

> is policy. They also stated that it interferes with

> manual dexterity.

> Here are my personal thoughts - first, why can't the

> ring badges be scrubbed

> seperately with the hands (not on the hands) before

> surgery? Second, manual

> dexterity? Are you kidding me? Third, it always

> amazes me how unconcerned

> these guys are about their exposure.

> Anyway, before I take it up with the Infection

> Control Dept. I wanted to

> hear how it is handled at other hospitals.

> Your input is appreciated.

. . .

=====

-- John