Re: Paducah CAB Board Resigns in Protest

I'm a little surprised that there was no comment on the media release by

the seven resigning members of the Paducah Citizens Advisory Board,

especially in light of all the heat generated by the "Precautionary

Principle" thread.  Here you have a group of people interested in

technical details of the cleanup, resolving disputes and problems,

keeping the public informed, and providing input on DOE decisions that

affect their community.  Yet DOE seems incapable of (or uninterested in)

meeting this group's basic needs so it can have meaningful input.

It's no wonder that misrepresentation of scientific facts is accepted as

truth when they come from anti-nuclear or other radical groups.  They

can point to agencies like DOE and outline the obvious lack of

commitment to public input, tell the concerned citizens that even if DOE

doesn't care, they do, and then go on to dispense the false factoids

about harm from radiation, etc.  DOE can't expect to retain any

credibility with its stakeholders unless it is at the table with

straightforward and honest give and take.  Even in Oak Ridge, the Site

Specific Advisory Board is running into some of the same stonewalling by

DOE.  Things have changed a great deal in the degree of openness and

acceptance of public input over the past three years.  And yes, it does

reflect a top-down attitude adjustment, as local officials react to

restrictions placed on them by their bosses in Washington.

My observations and opinions only,

Susan Gawarecki