RE: OUTAGE TRACED TO DIM BULB

Another aspect of regulation - a regulated utility with a defined service

area is the one and only institution charged with ensuring that there's

enough electricity when it's needed.  A deregulated system has no one in

charge of making sure there's enough capacity.  And, since the various

federal and state governments spent so many years letting deregulation

approach, even the regulated utilities became reluctant to build new

capacity because there was no assurance of a return on the huge investment

that goes with electrical generation.

That has led to utilities relying on each other's excess capacity rather

than self-reliance.  Power demand is heavily weather-related, so, in

principle, wheeling power from other parts of the country should allow for

optimum use of generating capacity and save everyone money.  The problem is

that the grid was developed in an era of more self-reliant, regulated

utilities that didn't plan on moving such large amounts of power.  Thus, the

grid system sometime can't handle the load, and is more fragile than we'd

all like.

That's why the power in question last week was being moved from Ohio thru

Michigan to Canada, over to the east, and down to NY - the grid across PA

can't handle the kind of load that was involved, so they have to ship the

electricity around PA.

As long as no one is responsible for planning and constructing generating

capacity for future needs, the system will remain fragile.  Welcome to

deregulation.

Bob Flood

NTS