RE: Hanford Site cleanup standards [corrected and re-posted]

This comment makes an excellent point that is buttressed by some peer-reviewed publication.  Some years ago, a paper in RISK ANALYSIS compared the risks of cleaning up a hazardous waste site with cleaning up a site that had waste, but not significant amounts of hazardous waste.  The dominant risk by far was the risk of operating and working with heavy construction equipment, and excess risk from the hazardous chemicals was negligible.

The risk to workers was also raised (by me) when I served on the Hanford Citizens' Forum, and it was quite obvious then that several people on that committee, including a person later elected to Congress, considered workers expendable ("well, they choose to do this work...").  These committee members actually proposed digging up the Hanford single-shell tanks and moving them (they didn't say where to). I guess this is why I react so negatively to the bleeding heart  "stakeholders"; the very same people who agonize over the potential harm done by exposure to millirems dismiss occupational hazards out of hand.

Ruth

--

Ruth F. Weiner

ruthweiner@aol.com