Re: Measuring Cosmic Radiation

On 29 Aug 2003 at 12:05, Frikkie Beeslaar wrote:

> Will it be possible to distinguish between the dose

> contribution from neutrons and gammas?

Hi Frikkie,

I would expect not. The UD802 has no problems with measuring high or

low energy photons with neutrons around the Cf-252 moderated energy,

but is nearly impossible to do this with bare Cf-262 spectra. If one

throws angularity into the mix, the task is even more difficult. One

only needs to look at data from the ANSI N13.11-2001 standard and it

is quite evident that with the various potential mixtures out there,

especially for cosmic radiations, the UD802 just can't cut it. If you

can ensure that the neutron is totally equivalent to the moderated Cf-

252,, you're OK. Any other condition,,, watch out.

Regards,

Sandy Perle

Director, Technical

ICN Worldwide Dosimetry Service

ICN Plaza, 3300 Hyland Avenue

Costa Mesa, CA 92626

Tel:(714) 545-0100 / (800) 548-5100  Extension 2306

Fax:(714) 668-3149

E-Mail: sandyfl@earthlink.net

E-Mail: sperle@icnpharm.com

Personal Website: http://sandy-travels.com/