Re: AW: Hanford Site cleanup standards

On Fri, 29 Aug 2003, William V Lipton wrote:

> You raised an important issue.  What are the responsibilities for an

> organization that develops a new technology, with new hazards, which are

> not yet regulated, and for which there are no published standards?

> Many of the postings seem to imply that you are not responsible for any

> environmental damage if there are no standards for what you do.  I beg

> to differ!  I feel that an organization developing a new technology has

> the burden of assuring the safety of its actions.

	--The best example of the was when the old Atomic Energy

Commission embarked on nuclear technology, it simultaneously set up a

tremendous program for investigating health effects of rediation spending

billions of dollars and continuing for 60 years. It also promoted programs

for studying reactor safety, etc.

	But what was the result? Politically motivated opponents used the

information to drive the public insane over fear of radiation and of

reactor accidents, and these have destroyed the technology the AEC was

initating.

	There ain't no justice in this world of risk analysis.