Re: Hanford Site Cleanup Standards

Perception is reality for those without imagination or foresight enough to

see past what's in front of their noses.

Also, the speed limit / traffic ticket comparison to cleanup standards

doesn't work very well. Now, if the speed limits on the interstate were set

at 3 miles per hour and fines were $10,000 for every mile a hour over the

limit, the analogy would be better.  Then it would more accurately reflect

the unbalance in cost vs. health/safety benefit, and the lack of risk

associated with the infraction level.

The public would rapidly demand changes to a law like the one above.

There's nothing preventing a reconsideration and modification of overly

conservative environmental cleanup standards, either, if the public became

convinced they weren't getting their money's worth in health benefits.  But

that is dependent on better public education and exposing non-factual 'hype'

for what it is.

At least, that's my perception....

Vincent King

Grand Junction, CO