Re: Radon and Respiratory protection

This has been a problem for me for over 15 years.  I believe Mr. Beckel has

touched on a valid point, one I discussed by email with Dr. Cohen a number of

years ago.

I do not disagree with the points that Dr. Cohen has made about reducing dust

particulates causing an increase in the unattached fraction of radon

daughters.  I think it is also important to restate the fact that filtration will have

no effect on the radon concentration.  But the largest contributer to lung

dose is from the daughter products attached to particulates which deposit in the

lungs and decay prior to biological removal.  Po-218 and Po-214 in

particular.

So far, I hope we are all in agreement.  I believe that, in the real world, a

HEPA filter will do a LOT of good in reducing the actual dose to people.  I'm

talking about a place like my home where there are doors opening and closing,

windows that leak, people cooking, and grandchildren chasing the cat.  The

studies on unattached fraction were done in a laboratory where scientists could

control things like humidity and particulate concentrations.  That was a

necessity since particulate concentration was a key parameter for measurement.  In

that controlled, lab atmosphere, it is easy to see how one could reach the

conclusion that "reducing particle concentration necessarily caused an increase

in unattached fraction" of radon daughters.

As long as there is no significant depletion in the number of particles in

the home due to the operation of a HEPA filtration unit, I think there would be

a large reduction in lung dose from radon (attached) daughters with very

little increase in the unattached fraction.  In other words, you would need a

particle source to replenish those carrying radon daughters that are trapped on the

HEPA filter.  If you don't have grandchildren chasing your cat, light a

couple of candles or run a humidifier in the winter and open a window in the

summer.  Frankly, I wonder whether any home would have a significant increase in

unattached fraction similar to that found in a laboratory experimental chamber.

I think Dade Moeller suggested a similar radon dose reduction strategy quite

a few years ago, and the only argument I recall against such a strategy was

the fear of increasing the unattached fraction of radon daughters.  I don't

think that is a serious concern in the average home.  Are any of you aware of any

studies of unattached fraction in places other than an experimental chamber?

G. L. Gels

In a message dated 9/3/03 12:26:22 PM Eastern Daylight Time, blc+@PITT.EDU