Re: Radon and Respiratory protection

On Thu, 4 Sep 2003 GELSG@aol.com wrote:

> As long as there is no significant depletion in the number of particles in

> the home due to the operation of a HEPA filtration unit, I think there would be

> a large reduction in lung dose from radon (attached) daughters with very

> little increase in the unattached fraction.  In other words, you would need a

> particle source to replenish those carrying radon daughters that are trapped on the

> HEPA filter.

	--If you are saying that you replace the particles removed by the

HEPA filter as fast as they are removed, you are correct.b ut that seems

completely impractical to me. If it is any sense possible, it would be

much more  practical to use a cheaper (but less efficient) particulate

removal system such as an electrostatic precipitator.  HEPA filters are

expensive.

> I think Dade Moeller suggested a similar radon dose reduction strategy quite

> a few years ago, and the only argument I recall against such a strategy was

> the fear of increasing the unattached fraction of radon daughters.

	--Dade not only suggested such a system but he marketed it. My

understanding was that it did not catch on because of the unattached

fraction problem.

  I don't