Life span and low dose rate gamma exposure

Interesting recent article with fairly decent sample size.

Radiation Research: Vol. 160, No. 3, pp. 376–379.

No Lengthening of Life Span in Mice Continuously Exposed to Gamma Rays at Very

Low Dose Rates

S. Tanaka,a, 1 I. B. Tanaka, III,a S. Sasagawa,a K. Ichinohe,a T. Takabatake,a

S. Matsushita,b T. Matsumoto,a H. Otsu,a and F. Satoa

aDepartment of Radiobiology, Institute for Environmental Sciences. 1-7,

Ienomae, Obuchi, Rokkasho-mura, Kamikita-gun, Aomori 039-3212, Japan

bLaboratory of Animal Development and Research Group, National Institute of

Radiological Sciences. 4-9-1, Anagawa, Inage-ku, Chiba-shi, Chiba 263-8555,

Japan

ABSTRACT

Tanaka, S., Tanaka, I. B. III., Sasagawa, S., Ichinohe, K., Takabatake, T.,

Matsushita, S., Matsumoto, T., Otsu, H. and Sato, F. No Lengthening of Life

Span in Mice Continuously Exposed to Gamma Rays at Very Low Dose Rates. Radiat.

Res. 160, 376–379 (2003).

Late effects of continuous exposure to ionizing radiation are potential hazards

to workers in radiation facilities as well as to the general public. Recently,

low-dose-rate and low-dose effects have become a serious concern. Using a total

of 4000 mice, we studied the late biological effects of chronic exposure to low-

dose-rate radiation as assayed by life span. Two thousand male and 2000 female

8-week-old specific-pathogen-free (SPF) B6C3F1 mice were randomly divided into

four groups (one nonirradiated control and three irradiated). Irradiation was

carried out for approximately 400 days using 137Cs  rays at dose rates of 21

mGy day–1, 1.1 mGy day–1 and 0.05 mGy day–1 with total doses equivalent to 8000

mGy, 400 mGy and 20 mGy, respectively. All mice were kept under SPF conditions

until they died spontaneously. Statistical analyses showed that the life spans

of mice of both sexes irradiated with 21 mGy day–1 (P < 0.0001) and of females

irradiated with 1.1 mGy day–1 (P < 0.05) were significantly shorter than those

of the control group. Our results show no evidence of lengthened life span in

mice continuously exposed to very low dose rates of  rays.