Article on radiation fear and disaster response.

The following editorial appeared in today's Washington

Post.  It is excellent reading, and Ted should

commended for taking the time to write it.

As Ted mentions NRC Chairman Nils Diaz NRC

Commissioner Neils Diaz is also asking for a realistic

analysis to emergency responses.  I hope that others

in the regulatory agencies will be more forthcoming in

their professional opinions.

-------------------------

 Radiation Chicken Little

 By Theodore Rockwell

   I was recently invited to observe and offer advice

during a revealing drill, spearheaded by the National

Academy of Engineering, that tested how well

information might be communicated to the public if a

"dirty bomb" exploded in Washington. As I watched the

interaction of real-life government officials and

media decision-makers, I was struck by a glaring

discrepancy: The rules for radiological emergencies

are wholly inappropriate for such an event. They can

change a relatively harmless incident into a

life-threatening emergency. These rules apply not only

to dirty bombs but also to any casualties involving

nuclear power plants or their fuel.

 A few minutes into the simulated exercise, a leader

of the drill pleaded for some action, warning that

radiation was killing people and hospitals were being

overwhelmed. This bothered me, because it is well

documented by all our official agencies that the

radioactivity in dirty bombs is unlikely to seriously

hurt anyone. People not injured by the conventional

explosion itself could walk away and be out of danger.

If concerned about possible contamination, they could

remove their clothes and take a shower.

 I made this point publicly to the participants, but

they said they're getting a different story from the

regulators and their scientists. The rules require a

hypothetical, squeaky-clean condition, scrubbing the

ground and sidewalks down to far less than the natural

radiation background of God's good green Earth -- less

radiation than millions of people get each year from

routine medical procedures. That's the kind of

thinking behind statements that the city would have to

be evacuated for years after such an attack and that

cleanup would cost billions. But these requirements

are inappropriate. We don't treat other spills and

leaks so fearfully.

 If your aim were to remove a public health hazard,

you would flush any residual radioactivity down the

drain with hoses and be done with it. Would that

contaminate the Chesapeake Bay? Not in any practical

sense. It would add insignificantly to the bay's

overall natural radioactivity. Expensive

instrumentation might detect it for a while, but it

would not create a public health hazard.

 Several participants objected that experts might

agree on that, but that the public would panic

nonetheless, and that's what we should plan for. At

this point, an expert on human behavior got up and

said flatly that if you tell people there is no

danger, and they have no reason to disbelieve you,

they will remain calm. (They did so during the recent

blackout.) But if you keep telling them you expect

them to panic, they will oblige you. And that's what

we're doing.

 When I raised this issue with a Nuclear Regulatory

Commission official years ago, he replied in horror

that if he bought my reasoning, he'd have to ask what

he was there for. He should, and so should the

contractors and scientists devoting their careers to

detailing thousands of unrealistic "what-if"

scenarios. When pressed, they justify their actions by

saying, "We're just trying to ensure safety." But

pushed to such extremes, we're not safer; we're just

wrong. The Nuclear Regulatory Commission chairman,

Nils Diaz, has asked that more realistic premises be

used to evaluate safety -- not looser, not lower, just

more realistic. That's a good start. Real safety is

based on realistic premises.

 On that basis, we should ask why our emergency

planning calls for evacuating millions of people

around nuclear power plants. Certainly such a mass

evacuation would be a mess. (If you really thought the

air was full of fission products, would you want to

order people to go mill around in it?) The question

is, could any realistic damage to the plant warrant

such evacuation? The answer, as described in the Sept.

20, 2002, issue of Science, is that one can do nothing

to an American-type nuclear power plant or its fuel

that would create a serious public health hazard. You

might produce a meltdown, as occurred at Three Mile

Island, but that event caused no human or

environmental injury. Even if the containment

structure were also compromised, physical tests and

analyses of spent fuel show there would be little

dispersion, so there would be few if any radiation

injuries. By assuming otherwise, we create unwarranted

terror, and the terrorists win.

 The writer has many years' experience in nuclear

engineering. He is a member of the National Academy of

Engineering and a founding officer of the engineering

firm MPR Associates.

---------------------

Would you like to send this article to a friend? Go to

http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn/admin/emailfriend?contentId=A15666-2003Sep15&sent=no&referrer=emailarticle

© 2003 The Washington Post Company

=====

"May we never confuse honest dissent with disloyal subversion."

Dwight D. Eisenhower

-- John

John Jacobus, MS

Certified Health Physicist