Re: Radium article

Another important point is that we can identify those

killed in motor vehicle accidents by drunk drivers.

There is no way to say which cancers in an irradiated

population were caused by the radiation. Second the

25-30% is an estimate that varies by years, by sex and

by race.

--- BLHamrick@AOL.COM wrote:

> Standard Time,

> liptonw@DTEENERGY.COM writes:

> Saying that, since 25-30% of the population gets

> cancer anyway, what's a few

> more from radiation, is the equivalent of saying

> that we should not make a

> fuss over someone killed by a drunk driver, since

> thousands are killed in auto

> accidents, anyway.

> Whoa!!  Whoa!!  Whoa!!!  It is NOTHING like this.

> In 2001, there were 36,386

> highway fatalites in the U.S., and 10,864 involved a

> drunk driver.  That's

> almost 30% of all highway fatalities related to

> drunk driving.  That is NOT

> trivial, and not ANYTHING like a VERY THEORETICAL

> additional 0.01% (i.e., one in

> ten thousand) that might get cancer, IF LNT is

> valid.  With this kind of

> reasoning, we should be lowering the speed limit to

> 0.5 miles per hour.  Then, we'd

> be safe.

> Barbara

=====

"May we never confuse honest dissent with disloyal subversion."

Dwight D. Eisenhower

-- John

John Jacobus, MS

Certified Health Physicist