RE: Article on radiation fear and disaster response.

Bill Lipton wrote:

> what I see on Radsafe is not a "voice of reason."

Agreed, with the modifier "sometimes".

> People often

> make inconsistent risk choices.  I knew of a safety

> supervisor who drove in a demolition derby!

Nice observation. I agree that uniformity may not always be achievable,

but it is certainly desirable. If intercontinental travel were still

hampered by fears of falling off the edge of the earth, the economic

impact would be enormous. Facts and reason should always be brought to

bear when the facts are known. When we have doubt, we have to be honest

about that doubt also. But that also doesn't mean we should let the

Gofmans of the world dominate the debate and scare people out of their

wits about pSv doses. "Corrected perception can reflect reality."

Mike

Michael G. Stabin, PhD, CHP

Assistant Professor of Radiology and Radiological Sciences

Department of Radiology and Radiological Sciences

Vanderbilt University

1161 21st Avenue South

Nashville, TN 37232-2675

Phone (615) 343-0068