RE: Article on radiation fear and disaster response.

Mike:

I only have one comment on your recent post, and that is: it is not that activists are (or were) "right" in some cases and "wrong" in others.  It is that the activist movement has changed substantially.  In my own eco-activist days beginning in the mid-1960s, we were confronted with no pollution control, constant attempts to sell off the public lands, midnight dumping of hazardous wastes, streams clogged with dead fish, and burning open city dumps.  So we got EPA (1970) and the 1970 Clean Air Act, the 1972 Clean Water Act, RCRA (1976), etc.  The problem is that those activists (like me) had other lives and other means of making a living, and were happy to see the problems addressed.  We have been largely replaced by two kinds of people: the professional activists, who get paid for what they do and want to keep their jobs, and the Erin Brockovitch types who are seduced by their 15 minutes of fame (and let me tell you, having been there, that it is seductive!).  The latter gro

ups are the "wrong" ones, by and large.

Ruth

--

Ruth F. Weiner