Re: Response to Ted Rockwell's article

One question is what kind of information is being

given to first responders?  NCRP 116, "Limitation of

Exposure to Ionizing Radiation," recommends 0.5 Sv (50

rad?) ED for occupational workers in life-saving

situations.  NCRP 138, "Management of Terrorist Events

Involving Radioactive Material," uses this same

guidelines for first responders.  Are first responders

occupational workers?

P.S.  I really hate Sv being used for ED and DE.

--- John Jacobus <crispy_bird@YAHOO.COM> wrote:

> This letter appeared in today's Washington Post

> --------------

> Radiation: The Real Deal

>    Theodore Rockwell ["Radiation Chicken Little,"

> op-ed, Sept. 16] recalls a recent National Academy

> of

> Engineering "dirty bomb" drill as yet another piece

> of

> evidence that our fears of radiation are overblown.

> As

> a technical adviser to the drill's designers, I

> understand Rockwell's frustration. Radiation is not

> as

> dangerous as most people imagine.

>  Yet Rockwell's own characterization of the dirty

> bomb

> threat is misleading. Most realistic assessments of

> dirty bomb dangers emphasize that few if any will

> die

> from an attack. Instead, the danger is long-term

> contamination, carrying with it social and economic

> costs. Rockwell dismisses such concerns.

>   First, he contends that we will insist upon "a

> hypothetical, squeaky-clean condition, scrubbing the

> ground and sidewalks down to far less than the

> natural

> radiation background of God's good green Earth," a

> constraint that he deems "inappropriate." He is

> right

> that imposing strict EPA cleanup standards after a

> dirty bomb attack would, from a public health

> standpoint, be excessive. But easily imaginable

> dirty

> bomb scenarios would contaminate substantial areas

> several hundred times those strict thresholds -- and

> to 10 or more times the "natural radiation

> background"

> Rockwell cites.

>   Imagine a crude, inefficient dirty bomb using the

> amount of cesium found in an old Soviet radiation

> source, such as one of those your paper has reported

> are missing in Eastern Europe. If people did not

> leave

> the area permanently, and if the area surrounding

> the

> attack could not be cleaned up, one in 10 residents

> over an area of roughly 20 city blocks would die of

> cancer as a result of the attack -- 50 percent more

> than typically do. The radiation levels would be

> roughly 1,000 times higher than the EPA's

> "squeaky-clean  condition."

>   Rockwell claims that "you would flush any residual

> radioactivity down the drain with hoses and be done

> with it." But cesium chemically attaches to glass,

> concrete and asphalt -- and it does so quickly. If

> done quickly, washing off sidewalks might remove

> half

> of the contamination, but removing the rest would

> require special chemical procedures or abrasive

> techniques, which would introduce major safety,

> logistics and cost challenges.

>   Nuclear power is also on Rockwell's radar, and he

> is

> right to be incensed by "public interest" group

> [...]

http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn/admin/emailfriend?contentId=A37571-2003Sep19&sent=no&referrer=emailarticle

=====

"Crime is contagious.  If the government becomes a lawbreaker, it breeds contempt for the law."

Louis D. Brandeis, Supreme Court decision in Olmstead v. U.S., 1928

-- John

John Jacobus, MS

Certified Health Physicist

e-mail:  crispy_bird@yahoo.com