  From: William V Lipton

  To: John Jacobus

  Cc: radsafe ; know_nukes

  Sent: Monday, September 22, 2003 4:59 AM

  Subject: Re: Response to Ted Rockwell's article

  Many thanx for posting this article.  This is the "voice of reason" we need, but find so rarely.

  IMHO, the public relations disasters for nuclear power occurred for just the reasons cited. Instead of trying to be the voice of reason, many nuclear power proponents took the opposite extreme from the antinukes, i.e. that there is no risk.  Then when supposedly "impossible" events, such as TMI and Chernobyl occurred, we lost credibility.

  As I've said before, our critics make us stronger.  Our "friends" are killing us.

  It's not about dose, it's about trust.

  Curies forever.

  Bill Lipton

  liptonw@dteenergy.com

  John Jacobus wrote:

    This letter appeared in today's Washington Post

    --------------

    Radiation: The Real Deal

      Rockwell is right that "if you tell people there is

    no danger, and they have no reason to disbelieve you,

    they will remain calm."

     But if you tell people there is no danger, and

    instead there is only a small one, they will lose

    faith, assume the worst and panic. The real dangers of

    dirty bombs and power-plant attacks are not nearly as

    horrific as many imagine. We should be able to calm

    people by simply telling them the truth.

        -- Michael A. Levi

     Washington

     The writer is science and technology fellow in

    foreign policy studies at the Brookings Institution.

    Would you like to send this article to a friend? Go to

    http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn/admin/emailfriend?contentId=A37571-2003Sep19&sent=no&referrer=emailarticle

    =====

    "Crime is contagious.  If the government becomes a lawbreaker, it breeds contempt for the law."

    Louis D. Brandeis, Supreme Court decision in Olmstead v. U.S., 1928

    -- John

    John Jacobus, MS

    Certified Health Physicist

    e-mail:  crispy_bird@yahoo.com