Re: report find radium raises risk of bone cancer in men

In the original review, conducted in 1996-97, a statistically

significantly elevated incidence of childhood cancers was found.  A

total of 90 cases were identified over a roughly 20 year period whereas,

based on statewide averages, 67 would be expected.  The excess cancers

were found to be leukemia and brain and central nervous system cancers.

Based on this information, the NJ Department of Health and Senior

Services in cooperation with the Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease

Registry designed a study of 40 cases (leukemias and brain and central

nervous system cancers) matched against 160 controls.

The question that I asked was prompted by the identification of of

Ra-224 as the major contributor to gross alpha activity in water from

the local aquifer and what has been reported in the scientific

literature regarding the link between osteosarcoma and Ra-224 and

Ra-228.  Essentially, we asked "Do you see a higher incidence of

osteosarcomas in the populationd dependent for its water on this

aquifer?"  I was more concerned with private wells than public water

supplies because the is more time for decay to take place in water

systems (given the 3.6 day half life of Ra-224) than in private well

systems.

Gerald Nicholls

NJ Dept. of Environmental Protection

609-633-7964

>>> Steven Dapra <sjd@swcp.com> 09/22/03 10:23PM >>>

Sept. 22

	Gerald Nicholls wrote, "In 1996 and 1997, while supporting the

NJDHSS's

investigations of a 'childhood cancer cluster' in Dover Township, NJ .

. . ."

	Out of morbid curiosity, what childhood cancer(s) was (were)

being

investigated?

	In addition, what question did you (Gerald Nicholls) ask of the

NJDHSS

that prompted it to initiate its investigation?

Steven Dapra

sjd@swcp.com

radsafe" (no quote marks) in the body of the e-mail, with no subject

line.