RE: If you do Science, use the Scientific Method!

From: Ted Rockwell [mailto:tedrock@starpower.net]

>I don't know of any good data that show deleterious effects from LDR.

But there is some evidence, and some logical arguments, that create a

reasonable doubt about dose and effect at low levels, IMHO.

>And they rely only on the demonstrably false argument that it is

prudent to assume the worst.  That is not science.  It is transparently

politics.

I guess "they" here are the NCRP and ICRP. What they are doing is

transparently setting policy. These policies are based on science, but

no, they are not "science". I think it is good policy to be prudent

until we have the clear evidence or a unified and well confirmed model

that eliminates this reasonable doubt. I agree that funding should be

fairly distributed to different groups, although I've never seen real

fairness in funding in any area of science. The burden is and should be

on those who believe in a threshold to show convincingly that it exists

and what its numerical value is, before public policy should be shifted

away from prudence. I found Mossman's "the debate is over" unpalatable,

as I do the arguments of those who say "low levels are clearly

harmless". This scientific discussion is clearly not resolved, and my

point (in the context of this thread) was that we should be honest about

that among ourselves and when dealing with the public and others.

Mike

Michael G. Stabin, PhD, CHP

Assistant Professor of Radiology and Radiological Sciences

Department of Radiology and Radiological Sciences

Vanderbilt University

1161 21st Avenue South

Nashville, TN 37232-2675

Phone (615) 343-0068