RE: report find radium raises risk of bone cancer in men

I attempted to respond to this last night but evidently my system did

not send it out.  If it did, I apologize for covering the same ground

twice.

James Dukelow wrote:

>Regarding the greater concern about private wells:

I need to ask a naive question here.  If there is any Ra-224 (3.6 day

half-life) in any water system, there has to be a source of that Ra-224.

 For Ra-224, that source appears to be Th-228 (1.91 year half-life).  If

the source and the progeny are in equilibrium, then decay of Th-228 will

be replacing those Ra-224 atoms as rapidly as they decay away.  Why

should community water systems be any different from private wells with

respect to Ra-224 activity?

Response:

The Ra-224 in the water obtained from the Kirkwood-Cohansey aquifer is

not in equiblibrium with Ra-228.  The ratio of Ra-224 to Ra-228 is

between 1 and 2, with an average around 1.4.  The "unsupported fraction"

of Ra-224 is believed to be due to the "alpha recoil effect" and the

relatively low pH of the aquifer (typically 3.5 to 5.5).

The water company serving most of the area operates wells in three

aquifers and the water from the wells is mixed in the distribution

system.  Radioactivity levels in the other two aquifers are lower than

in the Kirkwood-Cohansey so both dilution and time for decay reduce the

concentration of radium in water system.  Virtually all the private

wells are in the Kirkwood-Cohansey and, given the shorter time between

pumping and use, and since no dilution is available, the concentrations

of radium in private wells are generally higher than in the water

company's distribution system.  The distribution system is quite

complicated and involves 21 wells and several storage locations.

>Regarding the NJ study:

The 2003 State of New Jersey Department of Health and Senior Services

study is clearly an ecological study with radium levels measured after

the period when the osteosarcomas were registered.  There are no direct

measures of exposure of the osteosarcoma cases and non-cases to their

drinking water.  The results of similar studies in the literature, as

described in the NJ study, are wildly inconsistent with respect to age

and gender dependence of incidence and mortality rates.

Response:

I agree (with the possible exception of the use of "wildly"... I've

learned over the past ten years or so that "wild" to us is pretty much

par for most epidemiologists).

Regards,

Gerry