Re: Radioactive Tracers

While not aware of any prohibitions on the use of radiotracers for subsurface

oil well tracing, I am not surprised. With the current phobia concerning all

things radioactive and terrorist concerns, it is only a matter of time before

radioactive materials and sources become more limited in usage. With the

availability of stable isotopes and analysis, it was only a matter of time before

radiotracers lost favor.

As a primary vendor and disposer of oil well logging sources, we are noting

significant interest in other than nuclear technologies for oil formation

evaluation. In addition, there are currently many ongoing investigations around the

world concerning lost or stolen radioactive materials and sources associated

with oil related applications.

Companies involved with handling radioactive materials and sources recognize

the significant legal liability they are exposed to using such materials in

foreign applications and are returning any uneeded source to the U.S. for reuse

or disposal.

Bob Gallagher

NSSI

713 641-0391