Re: Radon Education or Hype?

Fellow Rad Safety Professionals,

I viewed the trailer for the video. If anyone has seen the video or read

about her case, what evidence was presented for the woman's claim that

her lung cancer was be caused by radon? Apparently she didn't smoke, but

was she a never smoker or a former smoker? What was her radon

concentration? What other low order potential lung carcinogens was she

exposed to, such as second hand smoke (as brought forth by Ruth),

pulmonary infections, allergies, occupational or domestic chemicals, and

so on. I doubt these issues are addressed, but without this information

I can only regard her claim with skepticism. [One of the problems from

the inception of the radon policy was the morbid, but poignant question:

"Where are all the dead bodies?" I gather that she is presented to give

a face to this complex issue.]

Bear in mind that about 10% of lung cancers in men and 15% of lung

cancers in women occur in never smokers. This is true for both high and

low radon areas. To apply a blanket statement that a lung cancer in

never smokers is caused by radon is wrong. Even BEIR VI using the

(ultra) conservative LNT calculates that IF everyone reduced their radon

level below the EPA action level, the number of lung cancers

attributable (i.e. calculated) to radon would decrease by only 1/3. This

theoretical decrease would not result in a statistical change in overall

lung cancer incidence or mortality.

In this process of radon education, there is a lot to understand. I've

read numerous epidemiological studies, books on radon, the EPA

literature, international literature on action levels, and so on, yet

still I have more questions than answers. One issue absent from the EPA

literature and BEIR reports is: How will the effectiveness of the Radon

policy be measured? I content that it can't be measured in lung cancer

reduction or lives saved. Although, any other goal would be meaningless.

Tom

My views and observations.

--

Thomas Mohaupt, M.S., CHP