Re: Radon Education or Hype?

It is import to remember that lung cancers, as all

cancers, can occur spontaneously.

In http://www.intouchlive.com/myths/lung/Lung03.htm it

is stated.

"Nonsmokers and Lung Cancer: If there were no

smoking-related cancers, lung cancer would be a rare

disease indeed. But what about those people who

develop lung cancer, but have never had heavy exposure

to cigarette smoke? This group represents those

patients in whom a .spontaneous cancer. develops.

Oftentimes, these spontaneous cancers occur in younger

women who develop a specific kind of lung cancer,

called bronchoalveolar carcinoma. . . ."

In addition, there are other environmental causes to

lung cancer besides smoking and radon.

http://www.cancer.gov/cancerinfo/prevention-genetics-causes/lung

--- Tom Mohaupt <tom.mohaupt@WRIGHT.EDU> wrote:

> Fellow Rad Safety Professionals,

> I viewed the trailer for the video. If anyone has

> seen the video or read

> about her case, what evidence was presented for the

> woman's claim that

> her lung cancer was be caused by radon? Apparently

> she didn't smoke, but

> was she a never smoker or a former smoker? What was

> her radon

> concentration? What other low order potential lung

> carcinogens was she

> exposed to, such as second hand smoke (as brought

> forth by Ruth),

> pulmonary infections, allergies, occupational or

> domestic chemicals, and

> so on. I doubt these issues are addressed, but

> without this information

> I can only regard her claim with skepticism. [One of

> the problems from

> the inception of the radon policy was the morbid,

> but poignant question:

> "Where are all the dead bodies?" I gather that she

> is presented to give

> a face to this complex issue.]

. . .

=====

"It is not enough to have a good mind.  The main thing is to use it well."

Rene Descartes

-- John

John Jacobus, MS

Certified Health Physicist