Metastron

Could anyone pass along rad safety precautions that are used when

in-patients have had a metastron (Sr-89) injection ?

We are looking at amending our precautions and are curious to see what has

worked for others.  When we started using metastron some years ago it was

advised by the vendor and in literature that certain special precautions

were necessary if the patient remained in the hospital and was being cared

for by nursing staff.   Specifically involving the following topics:

Handling urine & feces of non-ambulatory patients

Use of urinary catheters

Blood and urine testing

Could anyone share their precautions (if any) & their experiences?

Thank you.

Dave Engelbretson

Methodist Hospital

Houston, Texas