Re: No wind in my backyard....

--

--------- Original Message ---------

DATE: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 16:36:25

From: "Vincent King" <slavak@bresnan.net>

To: <radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu>

>By the way, it seems a little odd for one of the thousands (?!? we're that

>famous?) of 'lurkers' to lash out at a regular contributer in order to

>defend Radsafe against off-topic postings.  I think the Radsafe moderator

>handles that task quite diplomatically.

I joined radsafe when the server was at rumulus something at umich. I always though that this list was  self-regulating, when the lady who was running it did not have much time to supervise this list. Hence my intervention. I have been reading the posts less lately.

> I suspect it's more a case of the

>hoof of somebody's sacred cow being stepped on.  So, sorry, Mr./Ms.

>Himalaya, if that really is your name.

>Vincent "Rockies" King

>Grand Junction, CO

>P.S.

>>From Merriam Webster's online dictionary:

>Radiation:

>1 a : the action or process of radiating b : the process of emitting radiant

>energy in the form of waves or particles c (1) : the combined processes of

>emission, transmission, and absorption of radiant energy (2) : the transfer

>of heat by radiation -- compare CONDUCTION, CONVECTION

>2 a : something that is radiated b : energy radiated in the form of waves or

>particles

>I'm not sure what the 'theoretically correct' definition is, since Mr./Ms.

>Himalaya didn't provide it and the hint didn't help at all, but Bob Hearn's

>short version, "transfer of energy," doesn't seem like nonsense to me.

gamma radition is the result of conversion of tiny nuclear mass into energy according to famous E=mc_squared, which transfer or transition of energy does not seem to apply much. The definition could be true for x-ray or laser however.

>VK

Thanks and best regards.

Check out the new EudoraMail at

http://www.eudoramail.com