Re: No wind in my backyard....

So, Mountain Dog....

You start out by pompously correcting a simple definition of radiation as "a

transfer of energy," saying it was technically incorrect, giving us the hint

"gamma radiation," and suggesting we consult our freshman college physics

books.

Then you give us the ABCs of x-ray production.

Then you invoke "E=mc**2" as if it pertains only to gamma ray production and

not to other forms of radiation, or as if it somehow eliminates gammas from

being considered a form of radiation, or....what? - I can't follow your

mystical logic here, but it sounds like you fell asleep in physics class at

the wrong time. (Hint: the mass-energy equivalence principle is applicable

to all mass/energy processes, not just transitions in the nucleus that

result in gamma radiation).

I give up.  I don't know how else to explain that when you "transfer"

"energy" (via waves or particles, according to Webster) from the point of

origin to the point of interaction, that is generally called "radiation" by

people who work in radiation related professions (and others as well), in

the dictionary, in college freshman physics books, etc.  The term is applied

to alpha particles, beta particles, GAMMA RAYS, x-rays, neutrons, muons,

neutrinos, and an assortment of more exotic items, regardless of their mode

of production.  Perhaps you are beyond your current skill level on this one,

or else you have a serious flaw or two in your understanding, otherwise, you

wouldn't have made the silly statement that defining radiation as a transfer

of energy is 'nonsense' and 'theoretically incorrect.'  (Anyone ever notice

how people who are dabblers or novices in a scientific field seem to say

"theoretically incorrect" a lot?)

If you want to lurk, fine.  If you want to speak up and offer opinions or

ask questions, fine; I certainly don't want to discourage discussion.  If

you want to use a made up, mystical "spirit" name instead of your real name,

I don't personally care, but it may not be in keeping with the rules of

Radsafe.  But if I may repeat my suggestion: it's not a good idea to offer

flippant corrections to people who know more about a topic than you do.

Vincent "Prarie Dog" King

Grand Junction, CO