AW: Dirty Bomb

    -----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----

    Von: owner-radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu

[mailto:owner-radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu]Im Auftrag von LNMolino@AOL.COM

    Gesendet: Dienstag, 28. Oktober 2003 23:54

    An: cperham@EHSO.EMORY.EDU; radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu

    Betreff: Re: Dirty Bomb

    In a message dated 10/28/2003 11:29:28 AM Central Standard Time,

cperham@EHSO.EMORY.EDU writes:

        I believe that the EPA says first responders are "allowed" to

receive doses

        of up to 25 rem [lifesaving] for one incident, not that they should

"expect"

        them.

    I do not know the EPA or any other US regulations and I do not want to

bother you with the European regulations, but whatever the socalled "allowed

dose" may be, one should not forget the ALARA principle: As low as

reasonably achievable. This implies, that all precautions have to be taken,

that maximum permissible doses will not only not be

    exceeded, but not even reached. It is not justified to neglect possible

measures to reduce the dose to the intervention personal by only making sure

that they would not be exposed to more than the maximum permissible dose.

    Best regards,

    Franz