RE: A "dirty bomb" question

The smoke detectors I've looked into (literally) have the Am-241 source

placed inside a little metal box, as Dimiter says.

I would just add that the source itself was, in that case a metal disc,

about 1.5 inches in diameter.

Moreover, although it wasn't labeled, my GM counter detected the Am-241 on

one side of the disc only -- the other side gave no reading (I suspect I was

getting the alphas).

 Jaro