Re: A "dirty bomb" question

 The 241Am 59.5 keV gamma peak is well pronounced (apr. 36% yield), there are

also some with much lower yield at lower energies (apr. 2.3% @ 26 keV

etc.).

 However, the 241Am smoke detector sources I have seen are mounted in a

thick brass housing which would probably make them undetectable

with a GM tube. A source which was doing 40 kCpS on a Ge detector,

when turned with the brass side to the detector was de facto invisible

(well, I did not have the patience to collect an hours spectrum on that,

I was using and not evaluating the source). Anyway, the GM counter

is unlikely to be very useful around a closed smoke detector.

Dimiter

Dimiter Popoff

Transgalactic Instruments, Gourko Str. 25 b, 1000 Sofia, Bulgaria

http://transgalactic.freeyellow.com